CSIR - Institute of Himalayan ..., Pālampur · Natural Product Chemistry and Process Development Division (NPC & PDD)
Upendra Sharma studied chemistry at Guru NankDev University, Amritsar (India) until 2005, and subsequently obtained a PhD degree in organic chemistry with Dr Bikram Singh, Chief Scientist, CSIR–IHBT, Palampur. In the fall of 2012, he joined Prof. D. Maiti at IIT Bombay as Young Scientist. His research interests involve metal-catalyzed selective C–H activation and natural product synthesis.\
- Sep 2014–
ScientistCSIR - Institute of Himalayan Bioresource Technology · Natural Product Chemistry and Process Development Division · http://www.ihbt.res.in/php/cv/sctInfo.php?id=34049India · PālampurWe work on C-H Activation and Phytochemistry
- Mar 2014–
PostDoc PositionKorea Advanced Institute of Science and TechnologySouth Korea · SeoulWorked on remote C-H activation
- Nov 2012–
PostDoc PositionIndian Institute of Technology Bombay · Department of Chemistry · catalysisIndia · MumbaiWorked on C-H activation/functionalisation
- Jan 2007–
Ph.DCSIR - Institute of Himalayan Bioresource Technology · Natural Plant Products Research Area (IHBT)India · PalampurWorked in Phytochemistry and catalysis with metal phthalocyanine
- Nov 2005–
Research ScholarPanjab University · Department of Chemistry · Raj Pal SharmaIndia · ChandigarhWorked on synthesis and characterization of metal complexes
|Name||Dr. Upendra Sharma|
|Division||Natural Product Chemistry and Process Development|
|Specialization||Transition Metal Catalysis and Phytochemistry|
|Please visit; https://sites.google.com/site/chactivationandphytochemistry/home
After Independent Research Lab
56. R. Sharma, R. Kumar, I. Kumar, U. Sharma* Rh(III)-Catalyzed Dehydrogenative Coupling of Quinoline N-Oxides with Alkenes: N-Oxide as Traceless Directing Group for Remote C-H Activation. European Journal of Organic Chemistry 2015, accepted.
55. R. Sharma, R. Kumar, I. Kumar, B. Singh and U. Sharma* Selective C-Si Bond Formation through C-H Functionalization. Synthesis, 2015, 47(16), 2347-2366.
54. R. Sharma, K. Thakur, R. Kumar, I. Kumar and U. Sharma* Distant C-H Activation/Functionalization: A New Horizon of Selectivity beyond Proximity. Catalysis Reviews: Science and Engineering, 2015, 57(3), 345-405.
53. K. Thakur, R. Sharma and U Sharma* Olefins as Unprecedented Feedstock for the Synthesis of Valuable Heterocycles: Regioselectivity Remains an Issue. Synlett, 2015, 26(02), 137-141.
52. R. Rattan,* S. G. E. Reddy, S. K. Dolma, B. I. Fozdar, V. Gautam, R. Sharma, U. Sharma* Triterpenoid Saponins from Clematis graveolens and Evaluation of their Insecticidal Activities. Natural Product Communications, 2015, 10(9), 1525-1528.
51. Dinesh Kumar*, Ashu Gulati, Upendra Sharma*. Determination of Theanine and Catechin in Camellia sinensis (Kangra Tea) Leaves by HPTLC and NMR Techniques. Food Analytical Methods, 2015, accepted
Before Independent Research Lab
50. S. Agasti, U. Sharma, T. Naveen, and D. Maiti. Orthogonal Selectivity with Cinnamic Acids in 3-substituted Benzofuran Synthesis through C–H Olefination of Phenols. Chemical Communication, 2015, 51, 5375-5378.
49. U. Sharma, Rajesh Kancherla N. Tagoti, Soumitra Agasti and D. Maiti. Palladium-Catalyzed Annulation of Diarylamines with Olefins through C–H Activation: Direct Access to N-Arylindoles. Angewandte Chemie International Edition, 2014, 53, 11895.
Highlighted in Synfacts 2015, DOI: 10.1055/s-0034-1379706
48. U. Sharma, Y. Park , and S. Chang. Rh(III)-Catalyzed Traceless Coupling of Quinoline N-Oxides with Internal Diarylalkynes. Journal of Organic Chemistry, 2014, 79, 9899-9906.
47. M. Walia, U. Sharma, V. Agnihotri and B. Singh. Silica-Supported Boric Acid Assisted Conversion of Mono- and Poly-saccharides to 5-Hydroxymethylfurfural in Ionic Liquid. RSC Advance, 2014, 4, 14414.
46. S. Maiti, N. Tagoti, U. Sharma and D. Maiti. Efficient and Stereoselective Nitration of Olefins with AgNO2 and TEMPO. Synlett, 2014, 25, 603. (Invited Synpact article)
45. P. K. Verma, M. Bala, K. Thakur, U. Sharma, N. Kumar and B. Singh. Iron and Palladium (II) Phthalocyanines as Recyclable Catalysts for Reduction of Nitroarenes. Catalysis Letter, 2014, 144, 1258.
44. A. Chaudhary, U. Sharma, A. P. Vig, B. Singh, S. Arora. Free radical scavenging, antiproliferative activities and profiling of variations in the level of phytochemicals in different parts of broccoli (Brassica oleracea italica). Food Chemistry, 2014, 148, 373.
43. V. Kumar, C. Singh, U. Sharma, P. K. Verma, B. Singh and N. Kumar. Silica-supported Boric Acid Catalyzed Synthesis of Dihydropyrimidin-2-ones, Bis(indolyl)methanes, Esters and Amides. Indian Journal of Chemistry Section –B, 2014, 53B, 83.
42. U. Sharma, N. Tagoti, A. Maji, S. Manna and D. Maiti. Palladium Catalyzed Synthesis of Benzofurans and Coumarins from Phenols and Olefins. Angewandte Chemie International Edition. 2013, 52, 12669.(Most Accessed Paper in October, 2013)
41. S. Maiti, N. Tagoti, U. Sharma and D. Maiti. Stereoselective Nitration of Olefins with tBuONO and TEMPO: Direct Access to Nitroolefins under Metal-free Condition. Organic Letter, 2013, 15, 3384.(Highlighted by Organic Chemistry Portal 2013;
40. N. Tagoti, S. Maiti, U. Sharma and D. Maiti. A Predictably Selective Nitration of Olefin with Fe(NO3)3 and TEMPO. Journal of Organic Chemistry, 2013, 78, 5949.(Highlighted in Organic Process Research & Development 2013, 17, 1076−1084; Highlighted by Organic Chemistry Portal 2013;http://www.organic-chemistry.org/abstracts/lit4/062.shtm)
39. T. Patra, A. Deb, S. Manna, U. Sharma and D. Maiti. Iron-Mediated Decarboxylative Trifluoromethylation of α,β-Unsaturated Carboxylic Acids with Trifluoromethanesulfinate. European Journal of Organic Chemistry, 2013, 24, 5257.(Highlighted in Organic Process Research & Development 2013, 17, 1369-1379)
38. M. Bala, P. K. Verma, U. Sharma, N. Kumar and B. Singh. Iron Phthalocyanine as an Efficient and Versatile Catalyst for N-alkylation of Heterocyclic Amines with Alcohols: One-pot Synthesis of 2-Substituted Benzimidazoles, Benzothiazoles and Benzoxazoles. Green Chemistry 2013, 15, 1687.
37. S. Nagarajan, S. Majumder, U. Sharma, S. Rajendran, N. Kumar, S. Chatterjee, B. Singh. Synthesis and anti-angiogenic activity of benzothiazole, benzimidazole containing phthalimide derivatives. Bioorganic Medicinal Chemistry Letters, 2013, 13, 287.
36. P. K. Verma, U. Sharma, M. Bala, N. Kumar and B. Singh. Transition Metal-free 1,3-Dimethylimidazolium Hydrogen Carbonate Catalyzed Hydration of Organonitriles to Amides. RSC Advance, 2013, 3, 895.
35. M. Kumar, U. Sharma, S. Sharma, V. Kumar, B. Singh and N. Kumar Catalyst-Free Water Mediated Reduction of Nitroarenes Using Glucose as Hydrogen Source. RSC Advance, 2013, 3, 4894.
34. M. Bala, P. K. Verma, N. Kumar, U. Sharma, and B. Singh. Highly Efficient Iron Phthalocyanine Catalysed Oxidative Synthesis of Imines from Alcohols and Amines. Canadian Journal of Chemistry, 2013, 91, 732.(Most downloaded articles of the from May to November, 2013)
33. P. K. Verma, N. Kumar, U. Sharma, M. Bala, V. Kumar and B. Singh. Transition Metal-Free Sodium Borohydride Promoted Controlled Hydration Of Nitriles To Amides. Synthetic Communication, 2013, 43, 2867.
32. U. Sharma, N. Kumar, B. Singh, R. K. Munshi and S. Bhalerao. Immunomodulatory Active Steroidal Saponins from Asparagus racemosus. Medicinal Chemistry Research, 2013, 22, 573.
31. D. Katoch, D. Kumar, U. Sharma, N. Kumar, Yogendra S. Padwad, Brij Lal and B. Singh. Zephgrabetaine: A New Betaine-type Amaryllidaceae Alkaloid from Zephyranthes grandiflora. Natural Product Communications, 2013, 8, 161-164.
30. M. Walia, U. Sharma, S. Bhushan, N. Kumar and B. Singh. Arabinan-type Polysaccharides from Industrial Waste Apple Pomace. Chemistry of Natural compounds, 2013, 49, 794.
29. U. Sharma, D. Katoch, S. Sood, N. Kumar, B. Singh, Archana Thakur and Arvind Gulati. Synthesis, Antibacterial and Antifungal activity of 2-Amino-1, 4-Naphthoquinones Using Silica-Supported Perchloric Acid (HClO4-SiO2) as a Mild, Recyclable and Highly Efficient Heterogeneous Catalyst. Indian Journal of Chemistry Section –B, 2013, 52B, 1431.
28. C. Singh, V. Kumar, U. Sharma, N. Kumar and B. Singh. Recent Advances in the Synthesis of Amide. Current Organic Synthesis, 2013, 10, 241.
27. U. Sharma, N. Kumar, P. K. Verma, V. Kumar and B. Singh. Zinc Phthalocyanine with PEG-400 as A Recyclable Catalytic System for Selective Reduction of Aromatic Nitro Compounds. Green Chemistry 2012, 14, 2289.
26. U. Sharma, M. Bala, N. Kumar, B. Singh, R. K. Munshi and S. Bhalerao. Immunomodulatory Active Compounds from Tinospora cordifolia. Journal of Ethnopharmacology, 2012, 141, 918.
25. U. Sharma, M. Bala, R. Saini, P. K. Verma, N. Kumar, B. Singh, R. K. Munshi and S. Bhalerao. Polysaccharide Enriched Immunomodulatory Fractions from Tinospora cordifolia. Indian Journal of Experimental Biology, 2012, 50, 612.
24. U. Sharma, N. Kumar and B. Singh New Furostanol Saponin and Phenyl Propanoid from Roots of Asparagus racemosus. Natural Product Communications 2012, 7, 995-998.
23. V. Kumar, S. Sharma, U. Sharma, B. Singh and N. Kumar. Synthesis of Substituted Amines and Isoindolinones: Catalytic Reductive Amination using Abundantly Available AlCl3/PMHS. Green Chemistry 2012, 14, 3410.
22. V. Kumar, U. Sharma, P. K. Verma, N. Kumar and B. Singh. Cobalt(II) Phthalocyanine Catalyzed Highly Chemoselective Reductive Amination of Carbonyl Compounds in a Green Solvent. Advanced Synthesis & Catalysis, 2012, 354, 870.
21. A. Chaudhary, G. Rampal, U. Sharma, T. S. Thind, B. Singh, A. P. Vig, and S. Arora. Anticancer, antioxidant activities and GC-MS analysis of glucosinolates in two cultivars of broccoli. Medicinal Chemistry & Drug Discovery 2012, 2, 30.
20. M. Chandel, U. Sharma, N. Kumar, B. Singh and S. Kaur. Antioxidant Activity and Identification of Bioactive Compounds from Leaves of Anthocephalus cadamba by Ultra-Performance Liquid Chromatography/Electrospray Ionization Quadrupole Time of Flight Mass Spectrometry. Asian Pacific Journal of Tropical Medicine, 2012, 977.
19. V. Kumar, U. Sharma, B. Singh and N. Kumar. Direct One-Pot Cobalt(II) Phthalocyanine Catalyzed Synthesis of N-Substituted Isoindolinones. Australian Journal of Chemistry, 2012, 65, 1594.
18. P. K. Verma, U. Sharma, N. Kumar, M. Bala, V. Kumar and B. Singh. Nickel Phthalocyanine Assisted Highly Efficient and Selective Carbonyl Reduction in Polyethylene Glycol-400. Catalysis Letter, 2012, 142, 907.
17. N. Kumar, U. Sharma, C. Singh and B. Singh. Thalidomide: Chemistry, Therapeutic Potential and Oxidative Stress Induced Teratogenicity. Current Topics in Medicinal Chemistry, 2012, 12, 1436.
16. U. Sharma, P. K. Verma, N. Kumar, V. Kumar, M. Bala and B. Singh. Phosphane-Free Green Protocol for Selective Nitro Reduction with Iron Based Catalyst. Chemistry: A European Journal, 2011, 17, 5903.
15. V. Kumar, U. Sharma, P. K., N. Kumar and B. Singh. Silica-Supported Boric Acid with Ionic Liquid: A Recyclable and Green Catalytic System for One-Pot Three-Component Mannich Reaction. Chemical & Pharmaceutical Bulletin, 2011, 59, 639.
14. R. Kaur, U. Sharma B. Singh and S. Arora. Antimutagenic and Antioxidant Characteristics of Chukrasia tabularis A. Juss. Extracts. International Journal of Toxicology, 2011, 30, 21.
13. R. Kaur, U. Sharma, B. Singh and S. Arora. Antimutagenic Potential of Chickrassy (Chukrasia tabularis A. Juss) bark. Journal of Medicinal Plants Research, 2011, 5, 5021.
12. U. Sharma, P. K., N. Kumar, V. Kumar and B. Singh. Highly Chemo- and Regioselective Reduction of Aromatic Nitro Compounds Catalyzed by Recyclable Copper(II) as well as Cobalt(II) Phthalocyanine. Advanced Synthesis & Catalysis, 2010, 352, 1834.
11. U. Sharma, P. K., N. Kumar and B. Singh. Recent Developments in the Chemistry of Phthalimide Derivatives and Their Role as TNF-α Inhibitor. Mini Review in Medicinal Chemistry, 2010, 10, 678.
10. U. Sharma, P. Bhandari, N. Kumar and B. Singh. Simultaneous Determination of Ten Sugars in Tinospora cordifolia by Ultrasonic Assisted Extraction and HPLC-ELSD Method. Chromatographia, 2010, 71, 633.
9. U. Sharma, M. Bala, P. K., G. Rampal, N. Kumar, B. Singh, and S. Arora. Antimutagenic Extract from Tinospora cordifolia and its Chemical Composition. Journal of Medicinal Plants Research, 2010, 4, 2488.
8. U. Sharma. Silica Supported Perchloric Acid (HClO4-SiO2): A Versatile Reagent in Organic Synthesis. Synlett, No. 2009, 19, 3219.
7. U. Sharma, R. Saini, Bobita, N. Kumar and B. Singh. Steroidal Saponins from Asparagus racemosus. Chemical & Pharmaceutical Bulletin, 2009, 57, 890.
6. R. Bala, R. P. Sharma, U. Sharma, Andrew D. Burrows and Kevin Cassar. Hexaamminecobalt(III) Complexes as Multiple Hydrogen Bond Donors: Synthesis, Characterization and X-ray Structural Study of Mixed Anion Complexes [Co(NH3)6]Br2(BF4) and [Co(NH3)6]Cl2(HC2O4).H2O. Journal of Molecular Structure, 2007, 832, 156.
5. R. Bala, R. P. Sharma, U. Sharma and V. Ferretti. The First X-ray Structure of a Hexaamminecobalt(III) Salt with Two Different Complex Chlorocadmium Anions: Synthesis, Characterization and Crystal Structure of [Co(NH3)6]4[CdCl6][CdCl4(SCN)(H2O)]2Cl2.2H2O. Acta crystallographica. Section C, 2006, 62, m 628.
4. U. Sharma, A. Modak, S. Maity, A. Maji and D. Maiti. Direct Arylation via C-H activation. Thomas CoIacot eds., Introduction to New Trends in Cross-Coupling: Theory and Applications. 2014.
3. M. Chandel, U. Sharma, N. Kumar, B. Singh and S. Kaur. In Vitro Studies on the Antioxidant/Antigenotoxic Potential of Aqueous Fraction from Anthocephalus cadamba Bark. P.R. Sudhakaran et al. (eds.), Perspectives in Cancer Prevention-Translational Cancer Research, 2013, DOI 10.1007/978-81-322-1533-25.
2. B. Singh, S. Chattergi, N. Kumar and U. Sharma. Benzothiazole Substituted Phthalimide Analogues as Potential Angiogenesis Inhibitors. Ref. No. 0918 DEL 2011.
1. U. Sharma, N. Tagoti, and D. Maiti. Palladium-Catalyzed Synthesis of Benzofurans and Coumarins from Phenols and Olefins. Status: Provisional. IPA No: 2012/Mum/2013.
Awards and Recognitions
CSIR Junior Research Fellowship (2007)
CSIR Senior Research Fellowship (2009)
Foreign Travel Grant by DST-New Delhi and CSIR-New Delhi
Fast Track Young Scientist Project (2012)
D S Kothari Postdoc Fellowship (2012)
IBS Postdoc Fellowship, KAIST, South Korea (2014)
|Ms. Ritika Sharma, Ph.D Student|
Mr. Rakesh Kumar, Ph.D Student
Mr. Inder Kumar, Ph.D Student
Prospective Team Members
Ph.D and Postdoc positions available for self motivated persons.